The lost ranger - Scene 008 - Elkington

Scene 008 - Elkington


Description :
Next morning, Barton is waiting the return of Willibert.
Modifying scene set-up : (6) -> interrupted scene
(43) Move toward thread 1 (37) struggle (56) the public
Interpretation : Barton hears a crowd booing in front of the castle gate, he stand up from his bed fully recover to check what happens.



Barton is almost feeling nothing from the last rough days. He finds easily his way to the gate by following the flow of guards coming to contain the crowd if necessary.
A really charismatic woman makes her way between the guards and as soon as she was facing the crowd she raises her hand.

- “Sir, since you are the first people I can see tell me what’s happening here ?”

Is the crowd against the Queen order to enlist sorcerer in their rank ? (cf8 50/50 - 51- Y)

- “All my respect Lady Ivy and to the Queen Feyre but we are concerned. We all knows that some evil are raising slowly but we are not sure it’s a good idea to hire these people on our sides ?”
- “Which one ?”
- “You know they are capable of strange things. We are pretty sure they get this gifts from dark forces”
- “You are talking about magic and you are afraid of people able to play with unseen forces by people like you. I can understand but do you think your Queen is a foolish girl ? She is not taking some decision for our nation without any thinking into it. And we prefer to have them on our side defending our valors than be seduced by people or creature with bad intention to our world. NOW I want all of you to disband this demonstration and I will ignore it and forget your faces. NEXT TIME send a delegation to expose your concern. GO !

The crowd mumbling is divided between the convinced and skeptical but turns back to the town.
In full authority Lady Ivy looks at the crowd thinning in the distance.After 2 minutes she cross the main court. Barton spots Willibert making a sign to follow him.
Bartons enters in the main building and climbs upstairs where a map lay on a big table.
Lady Ivy starts to talk firmly with some high rank knights.

Willibert take him on the side :
- “They sent scout to check the situation at the cottage and to Chilton, they will borrow horses in different farms we should have a clear view of the situation tomorrow night. In meantime they gathering forces and informations for other parts of the country”
- “It’s not going to be too late ?”
- “if we rush it can be worse”
- “I heard the crowd and I may have a favor to ask to the Lady”
- “She is really busy and don’t be dumb, she hates short minded people. She may accord you an interview after the meeting for the risk you take to alert us. Go to the refectory get a breakfast in the meantime.”

Barton looks at the table last time and finds his to the kitchen to grab his food. He prefers to stay outside on the rampart. Looking at the forest and the river he thinks at Lavina. There is a chance she enrolls to escape her farmer life.
After 1 hour lost in thoughts, Barton heard someone yelling his name. He goes meet the person and follows him.

- “Greetings and thank you Barton in the name of the Order. Willibert told me your story”
- “Thank you my Lady, I did it for Lane Windsev who save my life and I hope we can do the same for him.”
- “Lane is a great man and be sure we are doing everything possible to return with us. Tell me what is your request to see if in my power to fulfill it”
- “I heard the crowd this morning, but,but, no worries… I have someone close to my heart who match the description and she disappeared around 3 weeks ago. I want to know if some of your recruiter where in Wyham shire around this time…”

Barton gives a description of Levina

With a smile Lady Ivy answer : - “I see, I see, let me ask my agents”
- “Thank you so much and do you know where I can find them…”
- “First be sure she is with us and we’ll see, we don’t want the location of this people known by everybody”
- “Sorry my Lady but I was excited by the possibility to find”
- “If she was looking at you now, she will be not so happy. Go to town and buy new clothes and visit a barber. I know it’s a small amount but it’s for your help. We’ll meet later. Bless our Queen”

She throws a small pouch with 10 gold and an Order brooch. Barton bows and leaves the room.
Barton follows Willibert instruction to find the tailor and barber streets.

Is the day in town goes without trouble ? (cf8 very likely - 77 - Y)



Life in town is expensive, Barton spent 3g for a new shirt and trouser, 20 arrows, an haircut, a giant meal... He never bargains to the satisfaction of local merchants. In the mid afternoon, oppressed by the small street of the town, Barton goes back to the citadel and wash himself, make some bandages from his old clothes and spends the rest of the day resting on top of the rampart.

Around 7pm Willibert asks him to join for dinner. Not really wanting to eat a meal in a big noisy room, Barton concedes when the paladins tells him he have some news. Around a soup, some bread and bacon, Barton listens.

- “Base on your description and the object you bring us, the scholar found something in their books. Apparently some old stories talks about this creature. They are Yuanti and the one you killed is a particular kind named PureBlood. It’s the most humanoid of them and can manipulate people. Most of them are spy or emissary trying to corrupt people. It’s almost 100 years since the last report of one of them in the north. Apparently they are coming from far south, maybe after the sea.”
- “Creature from the past, weird… And about Karzakur ?”
- “Nothing yet, but the statue is magic with a really dark aura. They are really cautious but they think it’s a focus or maybe a communication device… are you listening ?”
- “Hmmm , yes, yes but when you said magic I was immediately thinking at Lavina. Do you know where they sent them ?”

Does Willibert knows something about the new gifted recruit location ? (cf8 - Very unlikely - 88 - N)

- “No, no and even if I was knowing, Lady Ivy doesn’t want to reveal their location…”
- “hmmm” (Insight 8)

The conversation fade away and Barton goes back his assigned bed in the infirmary. Alone in this big room Barton moves to another bed close to a big window and open it.
The next day at the first hour Barton goes to the busy kitchen to grab a bowl of porridge before everybody wakes up. He asks to the girl who serve him :
- “ Thanks, taste good… what’s your name ?
- “Twyla, Sir”
- “I am no Sir. Twyla do you know who study magic here in Elkington ?”
- “Sir, sir, I am not educated. I don’t know how to read…”
- “No, Twyla, me too I don’t understand everything but is there any remarkable figure in town known for their studies”
- (history 14) “Oh yes, here in the castle there is the high priest and some people around him. But at the university close to the cathedral there is story about an old man doing some secret experience. You saw yesterday, people are not really fond of this esoteric matter.”
- “And you Twyla ?”
- “If the Lady says it can be good, I believe in her. And people are hypocrite because if they need help to cure a beloved one they go to the old town or in the forest to seek some old women with some healing talents.”
- “Thanks for the porridge Twyla, have a good day.”

Going down the road for the castle, Barton looks at the city where the morning mist is dissipating and the activity starts. The cathedral is right in front of him. In less than 10 mins in reach his destination. The University probably directed by the church is near by.

Some students are coming back from the morning pray. He looks at them closely and tries to find an isolated one that stands out. (perception 22) After few minutes he intercepts a read hair skinny guy mumbling to himself :
- “Morning…. Morning
- “What ?
- “I said morning
- “Oh morning sir sorry
- “Don’t be it’s really early, are you going back to your study ?
- “Yes, Yes, I will be late soon if I don’t hurry
- “In this case, just one question. Do you know an old man doing some studies out of the ordinary, I need to meet him ?

Does the student knows the old man ? (cf8 - 50/50 - 80 - Y)


- “Why ? I have nothing to do with this guy ?
- “No worries, I believe he can help me to find someone close to my heart, I just need to know where I can find him ? (persuasion 11)
- “Probably in the main tower, I need to go…”
- “A name ?”
- “Riston or the brushwood…..bye”

Barton saw the student uneasy to speak. He raises his head and spots the square tower two building away. He lower his head and follows the flow of student. He arrives at the bottom of the tower but the stairs are behind a metallic gate. Without hesitation he grabs the handle.

Does the gate is locked ? (cf8 - 50/50 - 72 - Y)


Barton doesn’t went to draw attention and continues to walk on the corridor when the gate didn’t open. He climbs a stair in the next building heading to a passageway. He observes the tower to determine if there is an other to enter it. (perception 15)

Is there an elevated corridor heading to the tower ? (cf8 - 50/50 - 74 - Y)

At the end of the passageway there is a corridor with column joining the tower with a door at the end. Barton keeps moving. There is almost nobody in this part of the building. He tries again to open the door.

Does the door is locked ? (cf8 - 50/50 - 04 - EY)

A voice behind the door :
- “Nobody can enter here
- “I have an appointment with Master Riston

Is Riston in the tower ? (cf8 - likely - 29 - Y)

- “I am not aware and he doesn’t want to be disturbed.
- “I can give him some information to help him in his studies” (deception 8)
- “I don’t want trouble but you can wait here and hope is going to need something outside
- “When ?
- “5 minutes….or maybe 5 days… HAHAHAHA

Barton is disappointed but it’s still early on the morning, he checks to tower to see if there is any opening.

Is there any windows or human size opening on the tower ? (cf8 - 50/50 - 61 - Y)

Above the roof corridor still in shadow at this time of the day there is an alcove. The passageway is empty but Barton listens and peers downstairs to detect some eventual new comer (perception 15). When he is sure nobody is here, he blends into the shadow (stealth 10) and starts to climb (athle 11). With a bit of difficulty to pass the edge of the roof, he manages to climb and enter the tower.

Does someone spots Barton climbing ? (cf8 - Very Unlikely - 90- N)


He lands in the stairwell and goes up to avoid the guard downstairs. (stealth 14) He listens at the 2nd floor (perception 16).

Are the guard and Riston the only of the tower ? (cf8 - 50/50 - 30 - Y)


No one here he keeps going and repeats the process at every floor.
When Barton sees the end of the stairs at the 5th floor he stops and listen more carefully (perception 8). He starts to doubt maybe there is a cave under the tower but he decides to visit the floor.(Stealth 23).

Really tidy room with books, Shelves, instruments welcome the visitor on the last floor. Barton open one of the 3 doors, the one facing the stairs. Same on the second room, but he is not curious about all these manuscripts. This time he chooses to visit the room on his left but it is empty again. Adjacent there is a little cabinet with some telescope and astrolabe. Going back to the second room he choose the front door this time. Quietly entering Barton can see the difference, there are books, scrolls objects all over the place. Floors, walls even part of ceiling are covered. At a desk a shaggy old man is sleeping with a pen still in his hand and the head on a blank page.

Barton close the door behind him and check the room one last time :
- “Master Riston… Master Riston … Riston
- “What, what, who, why ????
- “Are you Riston ?
- “OUT of my room, who let you enter here, I am working now…
- “Shhhhh, the guard was asleep and I came here because I need your help
- “OUT I said… Damned Unwin , I am going to rouse him with a stick. You are still here… OUT
- “Please I have some information for you I can give you in exchange of your knowledge. (deception 14)
- “Information, mfffff, what can it be and don’t already know. I listen but if it’s not interesting , I yell to wake up Unwin..

Barton expose his encounter with the cult of Karzakur, the pureblood and the statues.

- “Interesting (history nat 20) they are back.
- “Who ?
- “Too long to explain but not a good news. I will check with the fat Thornley at the citadel to see If I can have an eye on the statue. You can go now.
- “I was also wanting to know if you have any information regarding the enrollment of people with some magical abilities.
- “Why you have some ? Go see the order for this it’s not my business
- “Not me but a friend and I am pretty sure she follow them. I want to know where they are ?
- “She...hihi… it’s cute … but I don’t know anything

Is Riston know where they are ? (cf8 - unlikely - 24 - Y)

(insight 9) - “I can help your studies in exchange of the information

Barton gives his entire purse to Riston.

- “Almost 8 golds , I know it’s not a lot but a good start maybe (persuasion 19)
- “Hmm let me see… I take it but I need you to bring me something from where you go ?
- “What is it ?
- “A hat...
-
Hat, I can go now in town to bring you one
- “Don’t be more stupid than these students downstairs… It’s Whitby’s hat. I don’t think my colleague is doing a good usage of it. Blue, cony hat, you will see. It’s in a tower on your way to the camp location.
- “Alright I will bring it to you.
- “Nice. Now your friend, she is in the mountain in South West of Chilton. There is a small path along a stream heading to a waterfall , here you turn west and climb into the pine tree forest. They are in a big hunter cabin, they established a camp here out of sight of any curious.
- “Thanks a lot
- “Don’t forget the hat
- “Yes, yes but can you help me to pass Unwin
- “UNWIN...UNWIN
From far away : - “Yes Mater
- “I HAVE A FRIEND HERE, LET HIM PASS ON HIS WAY OUT
- “A friend ??? I saw nobody... never mind, Yes master
- “Thank you for your help, I will probably start my journey tomorrow
- “Hmm I need to work now and prepare myself to see this fat brainless at the castle.
- “I will be there too, Thanks again

Barton goes down the stairs and with a smile on his face waits the guard to open the door.

Without anymore money to spend he goes back to the castle to wait on top of the rampart.
Barton can witness from his vantage point the arrival of reinforcement and everybody coming to the castle. After lunch he recognizes the old hairy Riston entering the main building for a side door but never catch him again.
The atmosphere change during the day and a certain fervor emerges from the place. You can see preparation from the stables to the garrison, even in the kitchen.
Barton knows that the scouts are coming back any time soon and to be sure to don’t miss them he goes down and stays close to the door heading to the main room.
The sun went down, some fire were lit. Only few people stay in the main room. Around 9 pm a bell rings. “They are coming from the south gate”. Few minutes later the sound of galloping horse becomes to be louder and louder.
Only one scout out of breath stops right in front of the main door and hurries inside. Barton follows him. Lady Ivy and a few of personal advisers are here close to the chimney discussing and planning.

- “Bring some foods and drinks for the poor lad. Tell Us
- “Thanks my Lady. We went to Chilton but the town was deserted as we were informed. And apparently the cult leader left the town going south with his little army. He brings Lane and the guild master followed him.
- “Any message for us, any clues ?
- “No my lady but we decide to split. Rutley is going south to the next village and Rayburn will push even further if needed. I don’t know if they can keep my pace and we should not expect them before at least 2 days.
- “Thanks Hagley, good initiative. Go rest now but if you remember something out of ordinary come to us right away.
- “Thank you my Lady, I will.

The group around Lady Ivy starts to whisper. By the description from Riston, Barton recognizes the librarian but he cannot hear the deliberation. Willibert is not here and he is not sure if he is going to be well received in this circle. After hour people start to leave the fireplace without a word.

Lady Ivy manage to see him :
- “Go to bed and wakes at the first rooster, Good night !!!

She turns and goes upstairs. Barton knows he should not insist but he want to be sure to wake up in time if something happens. Instead of going to his previous bed he goes to the stable and finds a place to sleep in the straw bale. He is certain to wake up here if there is activity before dawn.

Is Lady Ivy is sending a small troop to Chilton or further ? (cf8 - likely - 64 - Y)

-- Closing the scene --
Characters List :
1 : Cult of karzakur
2 : Lane Windsev, Paladin
3 : Master Hayden
4 : Cult leader Chilton
5 : Cult leader cottage
6 : Feirnleigh
7 : Gauwill
10 : River Guard Elkington
11 : Willibert
12 : Lady Ivy
13 : Riston
Threadslist :
1 : find Levina his missing love
2 : save Lane
3 : find the hat
Chaos Factor : -1 -> 7

XP : 50 xp, total 950



Comments